Clwb Rygbi Rhuthun | 1st Team 24 - 13 Denbigh (Dinbych) RFC | 1st Team
Gwern Pierce
1 Try
Daniel O’sullivan
1 Conversion
2 Penalty

Match Report
10 April 2023 / Team News

Dinbych second best in exciting Vale of Clwyd derby

Despite the big difference in their league positions local rivalry made this derby encounter a much closer contest than the final score would suggest. Whilst many of Dinbych’s players showed good individual skills it was Ruthin’s more cohesive unit skills which proved to be the difference between the sides. A strong breeze blowing straight down the field also had a significant effect on the result in that the team playing with it at their backs had a territorial advantage either from relieving kicks in defence or tactical kicks in attack.

Ruthin were surprised by Dinbych’s attacking play early in the first half and the visitors opened the scoring in the tenth minute when they counter-attacked from near their own line. Centre Gruff Roberts made a long break down the right touchline before reaching the Ruthin 22 where he passed inside to flanker Gwern Pierce who did well to be in close support to cross wide out for a try converted by outside half Dan O’Sullivan. The same player increased Dinbych’s lead three minutes later with a successful kick from 35 metres when Ruthin were penalised for a high tackle.

Ruthin were quick to reply when they worked their way upfield through several phases of play ending with Emyr Gwynedd going over near the corner for an unconverted try. Dan O’Sullivan then nudged Dinbych further ahead with his second successful penalty following obstruction by Ruthin. On the stroke of half time the match was changed significantly when Dinbych were reduced in number when wing Aidyn Jones was yellow carded for obstruction just short of the Dinbych line. This also resulted in a penalty try for the hosts leaving them trailing by a single point at the interval. 

Ruthin soon took advantage five minutes into the second half as they attacked deep into the Dinbych 22 down the left before swift handling across the field led to Hari Hughes crossing for an unconverted try near the right hand corner. Ten minutes later they capitalised on a sequence of Dinbych errors scoring a breakaway try which took them two scores ahead. This resulted from a Ruthin line out just outside their 22 which was stolen by Gwern Pierce but unfortunately the possession was lost and a hack downfield was not secured leading to play being taken close to the Dinbych line. Dinbych were forced to concede a penalty under pressure which Ruthin took quickly for Emyr Gwynedd to go over for his second try which was converted by Gwion Richards.

Play was fairly even for the remainder of the half with Dinbych taking every opportunity to attack with forwards Ben Jackson, Jamie and Robin Williams together with replacement Max Sharples leading the way by powerful driving play in the loose whilst the backs launched several long distance counterattacks. One by Gruff Roberts was an outstanding effort from deep in the Dinbych 22 beating a number of defenders by his speed and guile before being halted deep in the Ruthin 22.

The character of the Dinbych team in the closing stages was epitomised by the pressure which they exerted on the Ruthin scrum close to their line in an effort to gain a bonus pointbefore the final whistle.


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos