Denbigh (Dinbych) RFC | 1st Team 16 - 25 Llangefni RFC | 1st Team
Aidyn Jones
Try 1
Gruffudd Roberts
Conversion 1
Penalty 3

Match Report
14 March 2022 / Team News

Ill-discipline costs Dinbych in final Home fixture.

In an exciting encounter in which the lead changed hands several times Dinbych were gradually worn down in the second half by Llangefni whose three late scores even denied the hosts a losing bonus point. The visitors owed their success to their bulkier pack who used their physicality effectively to develop powerful driving mauls from line outs and to capitalise on short range opportunities to set up both of their tries. Struggling for set piece possession Dinbych were further handicapped by giving away needless penalties mainly at the breakdown areas which stifled any continuity of momentum. 

Playing with the advantage of a stiff diagonal breeze in the favour Dinbych opened the scoring after five minutes with a penalty from 20 metres by full back Gruff Roberts after the visitors were caught offside. Llangefni replied seven minutes later when they forced a scrum penalty just inside the Dinbych 22 for outside half Andrew McMinimee to convert successfully. The visitors then took the lead midway through the half when they won a scrum five metres from the Dinbych line. They moved the ball quickly to the narrow side for McMinimee to go over in the corner for an unconverted try. Llangefni extended the lead to eleven points to three after thirty minutes with a second penalty by McMinamee. Dinbych then reduced the deficit with a superb score from a counterattack from deep in their own half with centre Aidyn Jones beating several defenders in a long scything run from just outside his own 22 to cross for an unconverted try. Gruff Roberts added the conversion points and then took Dinbych into the lead with his second penalty on the stroke of half time set up by a good break by centre Kieran Bonar.

Trailing by thirteen points to eleven at the interval Llangefni now had the advantage of the wind in their favour but it took them twenty seven minutes of the second half before they regained the lead with a third penalty by McMinimee. This lead was short-lived as Dinbych went ahead again with a third penalty from short range by Gruff Roberts with less than ten minutes remaining but Llangefni regained the lead once again immediately following the restart with McMinimee’s fourth penalty. Despite an heroic collective defensive display especially close to set pieces and breakdown areas Dinbych were now tiring with the visitors now in territorial control. Amongst Dinbych’s second half replacements was lock Cai Davies, the latest youth product to make his senior debut. With time running out Llangefni went further ahead following a short range ruck when lock Aaron Oliver forced his way over for an unconverted try. Llangefni then denied Dinbych a losing bonus point in the closing minutes when McMinimee kicked his fifth penalty from 45 metres.


Dinbych Seconds secured a morale boosting victory by seventeen points to five away at Wrexham in their Division 3 North league encounter. Tries from Prop Ashley Liversidge, Scrum Half Dafydd Cartwright and Captain Alun Davies, along with a conversion from Fly Half Ryan Devenport helping the Dragons to a deserved victory.


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos