Welshpool RFC | 1st Team 27 - 16 Denbigh (Dinbych) RFC | 1st Team
Joe Stranks
Try 3
Ryan Goodwin
Try 2
Euan Harris
Conversion 1
Daniel O’sullivan
1 Conversion
3 Penalty
Aidyn Jones
1 Try

Match Report
29 January 2024 / Team News

Dinbych flounder down at Welshpool

A confident all-round performance by Welshpool in this top of Division 2 North clash gave them revenge for a defeat earlier in the season by Dinbych. A bulkier home pack gained the lion’s share of both territory and possession allowing them to pressurise Dinbych with a hat trick of tries by scrum half Joe Stranks and a brace by No.8 Ryan Goodwin also enabling them to secure a try bonus point. For their part Dinbych defended well throughout with the forwards scrummaging well and generating powerful driving mauls. Behind the scrum a young and inexperienced back division rose to the occasion and played their part both in defence and attack.

Welshpool played with the advantage of a gusting wind at the start and opened the scoring after only two minutes when Ryan Goodwin went over in the corner for an unconverted try after stealing possession from a short range line out. They went further ahead in the 25th minute when they again stole possession from Dinbych at a line out just inside their own half before breaking downfield into the Dinbych 22 with Joe Stranks crossing for their second try converted by wing Euan Harris.

Just before half time Dinbych opened their scoring when they moved possession infield from a solid scrum inside the home 22. Outside half Dan O’Sullivan threaded through a clever grubber kick towards the Welshpool posts for centre Aidyn Jones to win the race to touch down for a try converted by O’Sullivan.

Trailing by 12 points to 7 at the interval Dinbych started the second half well with Dan O’Sullivan reducing the deficit with a penalty in the 46 th minute and then added a second one awarded for a late tackle four minutes later to give Dinbych the lead. Midway through the half Ryan Goodwin went over for his second unconverted try from a short range maul to give Welshpool the lead once more. Ten minutes before the end the hosts Joe Stranks went over for his second and Welshpool’s bonus point try.

A third penalty by Dan O’Sullivan brought Dinbych within one score of the hosts only for Welshpool to make the game safe with their final score after pressurising Dinbych close to their line when Joe Stranks drove over for his hat trick try from short range. Dinbych showed their character by pressing strongly in the closing minutes and coming close to scoring through driving play by the pack.


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos