Denbigh (Dinbych) RFC | 1st Team 45 - 21 Newtown RFC | 1st Team
Aidyn Jones
Try 4
Tom Seddon
Try 2
Robin Williams
Try 1
Daniel O’sullivan
Conversion 5
William Holloway
3 Conversion
Twm Jones
1 Try
Gareth John Williams
1 Try
Jac Beynon-thomas
1 Try

Match Report
11 March 2024 / Team News

Jones' Fab Four secures Division 2 North title

Club Captain Dan O’Sullivan and his men welcomed 5th placed Newtown RFC to Maes Terry Bryer for the 1st Teams final Division 2 North game of the season.


Dinbych required only two league points to secure the Division 2 North crown and did so in some style, with Wing Aidyn Jones contributing four of Dinbych’s seven tries on the day.


The opening 10 minutes saw both teams have their fair share of possession and territory, but neither side looked like posing a try scoring threat until Fly Half Dan O’Sullivan put boot to ball and secured his Forwards a line out 10m from Newtown’s line. No.8 Liam Allsup secured the ball and Dinbych set to drive on towards the Try line. The visitors sensed this danger and stepped away from the maul, leaving Scrum Half Robyn Cartwright with no option other than to recycle the ball to his half back partner O’Sullivan.

A beautifully weighted kick from O’Sullivan was sent across the pitch for Wing Aidyn Jones to collect and then step the on rushing defender to open Dinbych’s try scoring account.

O’Sullivan’s accuracy with the boot continued as he slotted the conversion also.


Penalised for being offside during a Newtown attack, the visitors kicked forwards into Dinbych’s 22. From a Newtown lineout the visitors used their powerful forwards to bore through the home defence and Second Row Glen Pybus was unlucky to see his charge for the line held up.


Newtown continued to heap pressure on Dinbych’s 22 and mightily relieved the hosts were to finally turn the ball over and start making gains of their own. From a scrum just outside of Newtown’s 22, Dinbych secured possession and Scrum Half Robyn Cartwright set about getting his Backs in motion. From Cartwright to O’Sullivan, the ball was then passed to Wing Dafydd Pierce-Evans and on to flying Full Back Gruff Roberts who fed his supporting Wing Aidyn Jones to go over for his second of the day. Skipper Dan O’Sullivan once again accurate with the boot to move Dinbych 14 points ahead.


With the ball brought back for a Dinbych scrum following an overly lengthy Newtown kick, Fly Half O’Sullivan had the perfect opportunity to unleash the attacking potential outside of him. Onwards to Centre Tom Seddon went the ball before he popped it on to the on rushing Full Back Gruff Roberts, who scythed through the Newtown midfield and passed to his team mate Aidyn Jones, who out paced the cover defence for his hat trick try. The conversion expertly slotted by Fly Half O’Sullivan to make it 21-0 to Dinbych.


From the restart Dinbych were once again on the attack and back in Newtown’s half, a Dinbych scrum on the right hand side of the field gave the hosts plenty of options for attack. Centre Tom Seddon capitalised on this as he worked a switch with O’Sullivan to break clear in the centre field before pinning his ears back and diving over in the corner to secure the four try bonus point for his side. A touchline conversion attempt drifted wide by Captain O’Sullivan.


Undaunted by Dinbych’s try scoring, Newtown kept on the attack and were given a platform to do so following a knock on by Dinbych. Attacking up the blind side from their scrum, Newtown kicked on into Dinbych’s 22 only for Gruff Roberts to sweep up the ball and slip past two Newtown defenders. Offloading in the tackle, Roberts setup Wing Aidyn Jones for a mazy run on which six Newtown defenders were beaten as he powered towards the posts. As the conversion sailed between the uprights, Referee Dafydd Roberts called time on an exhilarating half of rugby.


Five minutes into the second half and Dinbych’s ill discipline began giving Newtown the easy opportunities needed to progress up the field. A Newtown lineout found replacement No.8 Twm Jones at the tail of the line, a neat offload found the onrushing Kyle Rowlands, who took play into Dinbych’s 22 and setup their next wave of attack. Prop Freddie Jones dragged his side closer the Dinbych try line before Jac Beynon-Thomas burst through some lax defending to score beneath the the posts. The conversion slotted by Full Back Will Holloway.


Sensing that more tries were available Newtown continued to persevere and were rewarded with another try 10 minutes on from their last. Newtown’s Captain Gareth Williams put the ball into the corner and at the resulting line called the ball to himself at the front, from his drive towards the line Dinbych were adjudged to have infringed twice and Wing Aidyn Jones was sent to the bin.

Newtown opted for the scrum and No.8 Twm Jones showed his power as he picked up and crashed through for Newtown’s second try of the day. Holloway once again adding the extras.


With a one man advantage Newtown were soon back on the attack and were looking to get the ball wide to make the most of the missing Jones for Dinbych, unfortunately a loose pass was knocked on in centre field and picked up by Dinbych’s Tom Seddon. The former RGC Centre used both his pace and an excellent hand off to sprint through the Newtown defence and dive over in the corner for a try much against the run of play. Fly Half O’Sullivan was unsuccessful with his attempt at goal.


Play would swing from one half to the other for the next 15 minutes, with neither side gaining the upper hand. That is until Newtown’s pressure allied with a series of errors by Dinbych allowed the visitors to creep back into Dinbych’s half and soon enough the mid-Wallians were in the 22. A quick tap from No.8 Twm Jones saw him carry closer towards the line before quick hands from Scrum Half Rowlands fed Centre Issac Davies who popped the ball on to his Captain Gareth Williams for a try in the corner. Full Back Holloway slotting the conversion with an excellent touchline effort.


Both team’s could sense that another try was left in the game and Newtown kept carrying hard to take the ball back towards Dinbych’s half, replacement No.8 Logan Jones stemmed the tide with a tackle which saw the ball fall kindly into Dinbych’s hands. Replacement Flanker Ryan Pinfold carried the ball back at Newtown and offloading to the evergreen Prop Gareth Jones, the ball was then given to Robin Williams who sliced through a gap in the visiting defence to score his fourth of the season and Dinbych’s seventh of the day. Club Captain Dan O’Sullivan calmly slotted the conversion to bring an end to Dinbych’s Division 2 North campaign for this season.


The 1st Team will next be in action at Welshpool RFC in the North Wales Division 2 Cup on Saturday, April 6th.



There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos