Denbigh (Dinbych) RFC | 1st Team 15 - 55 Nant Conwy RFC | 1st Team
Kieran Bonar
Try 1
Tom Seddon
Try 1
Gruffudd Roberts
Try 1

Match Report
22 May 2023 / Team News

Dinbych consigned to relegation by Champions Nant Conwy

In this second encounter between the two clubs Nant Conwy again ran out winners although for much of the game Dinbych put up much greater resistance than the final score would suggest. Nant prevailed through their superior physicality in the contact and breakdown areas whilst their fitness gave them an attacking advantage from their close support play. This enabled them to sustain their momentum through multiple phases of play as Dinbych ran out of defenders.

The game started with a flurry of scoring with Nant opening with a score in the first minute as they counter-attacked from Dinbych’s kick off and after several phases of play ending with lock Carron Davies crossing for an unconverted try. Dinbych responded well and equalised in the fifth minute when centre Gruff Roberts made a break on the narrow side near halfway to outpace the Nant defence for a fine solo but unconverted try. Nant then regained the lead seven minutes later when centre Carron Rhys finished off a series of phases of play to cross for a try converted by outside half Ellis Fon. Dinbych again reacted well with skipper Tom Seddon finishing off a long attack from well inside the Dinbych half to go over near the corner for an unconverted try. 

Nant then started to pull away scoring two tries just before the interval by Rhys Evans and Gwion Jones the first converted by Ellis Fon. Both were the result of driving mauls by the forwards from line outs and extended Nant’s lead to 24 points to 10 at the interval.

Nant increased their lead early in the second half scoring two tries through the pressure they exerted on the Dinbych defence. For the first No.8 Carwyn Ellis capitalised on Dinbych’s failure to relieve pressure close to their line following a tactical kick by the visitors. They then added a second by Carron Rhys after a period of heavy pressure with Carron Davies converting. Despite desperate defending by Dinbych Carwyn Ellis added his second try followed by one by Carwyn Roberts. 

Dinbych still had plenty of fight and scored their third try when left wing Kieran Bonar went over in the corner after a good long range attack. Dinbych then exerted a period of heavy pressure on Nant as they fought hard for a fourth try which would have given them a bonus point and saved them from relegation. Unfortunately for them the Nant defence held firm and the visitors had the last word when they broke away for scrum half Deian Roberts to score the final try of the match to clinch the Division 1 North title.


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos