Denbigh (Dinbych) RFC | 1st Team 38 - 44 Caernarfon RFC | 1st Team
Efan Edwards
Try 1
Daniel O’sullivan
Conversion 4
Aidyn Jones
Try 2
Gruffudd Roberts
Try 2
Tom Seddon
Try 1
Dafydd Thirsk
1 Try
Carwyn Roberts
2 Try
Iolo Hughes
2 Try
David Yates
1 Try
Tomos Jones
1 Try
Guto Pierce
2 Conversion
Aled Jones
1 Conversion
1 Penalty

Match Report
16 April 2023 / Team News

Tries aplenty in Members Day thriller

In an excellent flowing encounter the attacking intent of both sides produced a try fest of thirteen with Caernarfon edging out Dinbych by scoring seven to the host’s six tries. Dinbych led by 26 points to 19 at the interval and were still in the lead until the final quarter when they were finally overtaken. The only consolation for Dinbych was that they picked up two bonus points for their narrow loss and scoring their number of tries.

Dinbych were on fire from the start and surprised their high flying opponents by scoring three tries in the first quarter. Left wing Efan Edwards opened the scoring in the 6th minute showing both power and pace running from halfway to go over in the corner for an unconverted try. With both sides showing their attacking ability Dinbych went further ahead with a brace of tries by centre Gruff Roberts. For his first he wrong-footed the visitors defence by cutting inside from near halfway to score at the posts whilst for his second he regained his own chip ahead from just inside the visitors half crossing for a fine solo try. Outside half Dan O’Sullivan converted both to leave Dinbych leading by 19 points midway through the half.

Caernarfon opened their scoring in the 25 th minute when right wing Iolo Hughes came inside slicing through the home defence from a scrum just outside the Dinbych 22 for a try converted by full back Guto Pierce. They reduced the deficit further with a second but unconverted try by Iolo Hughes in the corner. Dinbych responded well with an attack from near half way with right wing Aidyn Jones streaking down the touchline and crossing in the corner before touching down for a try converted by Dan O’Sullivan. Caernarfon replied by scoring with the last move of the half when centre Dave Yates broke through following a short range ruck for a try converted by Guto Pierce.

Trailing by 26 points to 19 at the interval Caernarfon closed the gap even further by scoring after only 2 minutes of the second half when outside half Carwyn Roberts went over in the corner for an unconverted try. Dinbych again reacted well with Aidyn Jones coming infield behind a short range scrum and taking an inside pass from Dan O’Sullivan before slicing through the defence for a try converted by Dan O’Sullivan. Caernarfon then replied with a penalty by centre Aled Jones and midway through the half eventually went into the lead for the first time with a try by left wing Tomos Huw converted by Aled Jones. They then increased their lead with a second unconverted try by Carwyn Roberts to give the visitors a six point lead

With the match coming to a close Dinbych skipper Tom Seddon powered his way through several tackles for a try near the posts only for the conversion which would have given Dinbych the lead to rebound from the post leaving Caernarfon one point ahead. With time running out Caernarfon made the game safe when they capitalised on Dinbych’s failure to halt a touchline attack from just inside the visitor’s half for No.8 Dafydd Thirsk to finish it off by going over in the corner for an unconverted try.



There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos